A Misplaced Bond
written by: Cher101060

 

Trunks and Goten have grown up, even Bra. Time has passed and there is finally a long stretch of peace that leaves the Z warriors with a lot of time on their hands. A time to think, relax and catch up, this is a good thing. Right? Goku has resumed his friendship with Bulma as he had it before. Before they was any fighting at all. At first he had excuses to come over there, one was the one to pick up Goten. Then it was to spar with Vegeta. Yet when Vegeta wasn't around Goku could still be found hanging out at the Capsule Corporation. More than usual.

It was Trunks who first notice it, then Goten and then Vegeta. Goku seemed to admire Bulma and even like her. Well of course he did. They had been long time friends, but was there more? It couldn't be because Goku has been married for the longest and he loves ChiChi, right?

In the beginning Bulma was the first girl Goku ever met. They spent a great deal of time together. Yet at that time Goku was even more naive and childish than he is now!! He didn't even know the difference between boys or girls!! It would be impossible for him to even acknowledge if he had feelings at that time. Even if he did feel something he probably wouldn't know what he was feeling and why!

Even his marriage to ChiChi was not based on love. Though he loves ChiChi now, it has never been a Saiyan bond. Unknowingly, he has bonded to someone already. Still Goku is unaware with the term of "bonding". He is totally unfamiliar with anything Saiyan, only the power of a Saiyan. Though Saiyan bonds are instinct just as much as fighting, you have to be aware of them...........

As Goku teleports to meet Goten at the Capsule Corporation on a regular sunny afternoon, he spots Bulma tending to her garden in the back. It is a new garden and it needs some work. He teleports to her side and watches her. She has on very short shorts and a well fitted t-shirt. She looks better than any women at her age. She has no doubt been wished youth by the dragon. He greets her with a big smile.

Goku: Hello Bulma ! I came for Goten. ChiChi wants me to tell him dinner is ready. Oh yha, Gohan and Videl came to visit, too.

Bulma: Really, well I know that he will be happy to see his brother, he spends so much time with Trunks now. I thought they would outgrow that. Goku, don't you think that he getting a little too old for you to still come and pick him up?

Goku: Well ChiChi wants him to know that his family is there, plus his food is ready, you know how ChiChi is!! Anyway, I like coming here. You and Vegeta are my only friends. I like the company.

Bulma: What about ChiChi?

Goku: It seems that all those years of being away had an affect on us. I spent a lot of time away from her you know. Even though its been a long while since everything is back to normal I still haven't gotten fully use to being around her for so long. I feel more comfortable talking to you. Where's Vegeta?

Bulma: Off somewhere. Who knows? At least he's not bugging me! Goku hand me that hose.

Goku: You two are so crazy for each other admit it. Everyone knows it.

Bulma: Just shut up and pass the hose!

Goku: You mean this one!!

Goku turns the hose on and starts to wet Bulma from head to toe while laughing out loud. Bulma picks up the shorter spare hose and begins to wet him also. They both begin to laugh, they both seem not really to mind the cold water on this hot summer day. Vegeta, who is hovering in the sky, quickly see his two friends soaking themselves and watches them then zooms down.

Bulma: Didn't know I had a spare hose did you!

Vegeta: Bulma!! Kakorott!! What are you two doing?

Bulma: Just playing around, want to join!

Vegeta: Baka, do I look like an idiot of course not!! Let me guess Kakorrott came for his air head son!!

Bulma: Vegeta, you jerk that's not nice at all!! Goku, please excuse my rude husband.

Goku: It's ok no need to say sorry! I should be leaving now any way. I ‘ll get Goten and go.

Vegeta: Great. I'll be going inside now woman. I'm hungry. Did you hear me? I am hungry, so when you are finish with the dirt pile come and feed me. I swear you tend those weeds more than me!

Bulma: Whatever Vegeta! So sorry about that Goku!

Vegeta walks inside the house.

Goku: Why he's Vegeta, I am use to him by now wouldn't have it any other way. Oh look, I see Goten coming out of the house now. I'll teleport us both and be on our way. See you!

Bulma: Bye!

Goku teleports him and Goten home, but quickly teleports himself in the sky back to the Capsule Corporation and floats in the air there. He thinks no one is watching. All he did was stare at Bulma as she tried to tidy the yard from the little play they had in the yard. Vegeta did see Goku In the sky and followed what his eyes were staring at. This is not the first time he has seen him stare at his mate like that. Vegeta meets a damp Bulma as she entered the house to change and clean up.

Vegeta: Must you parade around here half naked in front of Kakkorott ?

Bulma: Nani!! What are you talking about? Vegeta, I am not half naked any way Goku is like a brother to me and I have known him longer than I knew you!

Vegeta: Your shirt is wet and it's almost see through.

Bulma: So, your point is?

Vegeta: It's not appropriate, don't let it happen again.

Bulma: How dare you? What are you saying? Are you jealous of Goku? The way I dressed never bothered you before. I've known Goku for years, he's as innocent as a lamb. So just stop it!!

Vegeta: Woman, you are as blind as a bat!! He is not so innocent. I saw him purposely teleport back after he took Goten. He was in the sky GAWKING at you for a while. Huh, is that brotherly love?

Bulma: You, your ..... lying. Goku... he wouldn't do that. Would he?

Vegeta: All the years you known me have I've ever lied to you?

Bulma: Perhaps it was just a fluke. So he looked at me, big deal. He has a beautiful wife and two big kids. It meant nothing.

Vegeta: Let me tell you something woman, he looked at you with desire and he looked like he was in a trance. Saiyan men don't have the ability to desire more than one woman either. When we bond it's for life. I have suspected this for a while now.

Bulma: Suspected what? Vegeta, he loves ChiChi, they have been married longer than us.

Vegeta: Love and bond are two different things. As we all know Goku marriage was arranged, a promise he made when he too young to even understand. A promise that he made, not an act of love or a bond.

Bulma: What are you saying?

Vegeta: It's possible for him to love ChiChi and not bond. Yet he can never truly love her deeply without the bond. It may have taken him many years to relieve this. When he first started to hang around you he may have bonded with you and not even know it. Now that he has all this time on his hands, the feeling might be more obvious to him and even more confusing.

Bulma: This is terrible!! ChiChi is my close friend. I know she loves Goku very much.

Vegeta: You use to tell me yourself that when you too first met you spent a lot of time together. Even after he married ChiChi he seemed to prefer your company. I suspect he a has bonded with you!!

Bulma: What am I going to do? Bonds can't be broken, you told me that.

Vegeta: Confront him, see if I am right. Talk to him tomorrow.

Bulma: I will, but right know I just need a shower and then I'll go for a ride. I need to think.

Vegeta: Very well, I'll just starve until you get back.

Bulma: Don't worry, Trunks, Bra and you can order out. I won't be long.

Bulma takes her shower and changes. For the whole time she flashes back to when her and Goku first met. She feels as if she wanted to cry. "How sad" she thinks to her self. Vegeta always told her how strong Saiyan bonds are. That's why most Saiyan warriors avoid taking mates. Yet once a bond is formed there is no stopping it. "It's not love but like the introduction to love" Vegeta use to tell her. The bond creates the atmosphere and literally forces them into each others arms.

Yet the bond was never returned. Bulma never felt that way for Goku. Perhaps a crush or two but that's about it! It wasn't possible for her to return it anyway because he wasn't even fully aware of what he felt and what exactly he was feeling. Bonds are usually shared between Saiyans but it can be between a human and a Saiyan. It may have taken years of peace for Goku to finally pay real attention to these feelings! Yet if Vegeta is right and Goku feels it, it must be killing him too. It's not the time away from ChiChi, it's the bond you don't have with her! Bulma thinks to herself.

She drives her air car not too far away from her home and she heads to her own personal place where she had always come to think and relax since she was a child. As the sun sets and nightfalls, Bulma lands her air car and sits her self on the cool grass and looks up at the star. Wishing to god that Vegeta was wrong.

Thinking on how to confront him, she draws her knees to her chest and wraps her arms around them. Her head is bowed. She hears the familiar sound of someone flying in the dark night. She assumes it must be her husband. She was wrong!

Bulma: GOKU!! What are you doing here? How did you know? Please don't tell me that you "knew" I was here!

Goku: I didn't know exactly but it's as if I felt your presence!! Like I was drawn here. The feeling was so strong.

Bulma: Perhaps it's because I was thinking about you so strongly, especially if it's the bond. I need to know if you bonded....... with me.

Goku: Bond? WHAT is that?

Bulma: As I suspected, you don't even know what a bond is do you? Even if you felt it you wouldn't understand it or be able to identify it. You really don't know about anything Saiyan.

Goku: Well you still didn't answer my question. What is it?

Bulma: How can I put this? It's like a connection between two Saiyans. It draws one to the other. It comes right before you fall in love. In your Saiyan culture it completes the love by making the two share a closeness that no other two can share. Me and Vegeta have a shared bond. He gave it to me and accepted. You are here because you felt me Goku didn't you? You have a half way bond with me.

Goku: I... I.. Love ChiChi I don't know how this could have happened! I would be lying though if I said I didn't feel nothing for you. I can't explain it. Sometimes I just know when you are sad or angry. I spent most of my life fighting and training that I didn't even relieve it. I have felt it before but really didn't pay it much attention. With all this peace I have time to be around you more, I have time to feel. I know its not right but now that I have resumed my friendship with you it's gotten much stronger.

Bulma: It's not your fault. I know you love ChiChi, but you can't fully love her until you break this bond with me.

Goku: Hai, I know.

Goku turns his face from her slightly as he feels a sudden sadness overcome him....

Bulma: Are you ok... you look so sad just now? Goku? Don't you love ChiChi?

Goku: Of course I do, it's just a part of me is not listening to any of this. It just wants............

Bulma: Wants what?

Goku:YOU.

Bulma: Goku, you don't mean that, we can wish the bond away then you could begin bonding with ChiChi.

Goku: No!!! I mean ‘yes’, I mean ... I don't know what I mean!! It's like if you do that it'll kill me! I know ChiChi deserves better though, I want her to have better, but a part of me is fighting myself.

Bulma: Please you can't stay like this, Goku it isn't right. It'll hurt you more if you don't break the bond. ChiChi loves you so much.

Goku: I know, I swear I love her too. Yet what I feel for you is different. I can't explain it, I'm just beginning to understand it myself. It feels so right. It feels as if I am supposed to be with you, but that can't be right. You and Vegeta were meant to be. Even I know that. ChiChi practically snatched me up. That was meant to be too. It feels so right but it's wrong (sigh) this is the worst thing to ever happen to me.

Bulma: Don't worry we'll still be friends, but you need to spend more time with ChiChi. I'll help you. Everything will be fine. Make the wish to break the bond.

Goku; You’re right. I will be better off.

Bulma looks at her old friend Goku whom she has known since she wore pigtails. She loves him as a brother. When Goku looks into her big blue eyes he can see that. When Bulma looks in to his "too shiny" black eyes she sees more in his. Not quite love but almost. They embrace and Goku floats into the air leaving her staring up at him.

Goku: Bye now, tomorrow we will make the wish. Tell no one.

Bulma: Don't worry I won't.

Goku: Bulma?

Bulma: Yes Goku?

Goku: You tell Vegeta he is a lucky man.

Bulma: I promise.

Those were his last words a he teleported out of site . The two were being watched by Vegeta for the whole time. Vegeta felt Goku's presence at the same place he felt his mate's. He flew and hid in a tree keeping his ki as low as he could while flying. Normally Goku would still sense it but lucky for Vegeta, Goku was so distracted by his bond with Bulma that he didn't even notice. Now that Goku is gone he makes his presence known now. He flies down to Bulma.

Bulma: Vegeta.. Did you here?

Vegeta: Every word!!

Bulma: He's going to wish away the bond.

Vegeta: I know. Kakkorott is right, I am lucky. It's a good thing a certain Saiyan bumped his head. Perhaps things would be very different. Perhaps I wouldn't have you.

Bulma: You know, sometimes you can be so sweet...

They hug under the stars and think about what could of been and what never will be........

The End

 

< --- back