Disclaimer: see prologue.

A/N: This chapter has some medical terms in it and I know absolutely nothing about things like that. So, don't get mad at me because of that! I did my best! Enjoy this chapter! R&R!

Uncertain Futures

Chapter 7

Bulma stopped in her tracks and stared at the now destroyed gravity room. Trunks didn't stop and almost collided with his mother. He hurried to the pile of cement pieces and began to remove the debris as quick as he could.

Almost instantly Trunks spotted a bloody arm that was half-hidden by a large piece of metal. He worked even faster and soon the rest of Angel's body could be seen. Without hesitation, Trunks grabbed Angel and carried her to the infirmary.

Once there Bulma scanned over Angel's body to see how much damage had been done. Her entire body was covered in rivers of deep red blood. Her clothes hung in scorched shreds while her long hair, matted with blood, lay in tangles over her injured face.

Bulma ordered Trunks to begin covering the blood with as many bandages as he could find. While he did that, she grasped Angel's wrist where she, thankfully, felt a pulse, although it was slow and irregular. She attached her to a heart monitor and then pulled an oxygen machine over to her side and quickly secured a mask over Angel's unresponsive mouth. For the next fifteen minutes, Bulma and Trunks both were running around the small room trying to keep their new friend alive.

"Her pulse is stopping! Bring a crash cart over here and hurry!" Bulma screamed in panic as Trunks yanked the contraption over to his mother. Then he attached electrodes to her blood-stained skin.

Without hesitation, Bulma seized the paddles and hollered, "Clear!" Trunks backed away from the table and Angel's body heaved with the surge of electricity going through it.

"There's no response!" Trunks yelled as the heart monitor continued to whine above all the other noise in the room.

Bulma nodded, "Again. Clear!" Once more, Angel's body twitched on the hard, cold table. The monitor sounded out an unwavering beep before the green line began to rise and fall in uneven peaks.

Bulma breathed a sigh of relief and Trunks's knees almost gave way beneath him. They watched as Angel's chest steadily moved with every labored breath. She moaned softly and her eyes flickered open for a second before closing again. Bulma sent Trunks out of the room while she hurried to the closet to get a dark blue robe to wrap Angel's almost-naked body in.

Angel hung on to life the next day while Bulma, Trunks, and ChiChi--she had been called over to help--became successful at healing most of her wounds.

Later that afternoon, Trunks approached his mother while she sat in the kitchen drinking her coffee, "Mom? Do you think Angel will live?"

"Well...I can't be completely sure, but, in my opinion, she will probably live. Thank Kami for that." Bulma weakly smiled as she reassured her son.

Angel improved rapidly as the days went on, but she had yet to wake up from her unconsious state. She was fed through IV's and there was always someone in the room with her. One day while checking over the results of Angel's most recent tests, Bulma came across a strange discovery. She had given Angel plenty of blood tests over the past few days, but never really sat down and looked at anything, but the health of the cells.

"Trunks? ChiChi? Can you two come in here for a minute? I think I found something very interesting about Angel," Bulma hollered from the infirmary.

"What is it, Bulma?" ChiChi asked.

"Yeah, Mom. What's so interesting about Angel?" Trunks followed his mother into the room.

Bulma showed them the most recent blood tests, "Look at these results about Angel's blood health. Now until just now I haven't been paying attention to anything, but the record of how healthy the blood is."

"Okay, now what did you discover just now that you didn't before?" Trunks asked curiously.

"Well, I didn't notice until now, but Angel's blood is not similar to humans. There is something strange about the structure of her cells. Now there are some similarities to human blood, but there also some things that I have never seen in human blood cells before," Bulma gestured toward the bottom of the ink-smelling page.

"That is strange. How would you explain it, Bulma?" ChiChi questioned as she peered at the results.

"Well, now this is just a hunch, I believe that maybe, just maybe Angel is not a full-blooded human," Bulma said nervously.

Trunks stared at her in surprise, "You mean, you think that Angel is an alien?"

"Um....sort of. I believe she is a half-breed between humans and an alien species," Bulma answered her son.

"Really!? Well, how bizarre is that?" ChiChi screamed in amazement.

"That's what I thought too! Well, I guess that would explain why she's so much stronger than other humans," Bulma concluded.

Trunks asked while still in shock, "Mom?"

"Yes, Trunks?"

"Do you think it's possible to find out what alien race she comes from?"

"Well, I don't see what it would hurt to try!"

"But, could you do it?"

"I'm not sure, but like I said before I'll try my best!"

ChiChi nudged Trunks, "That's your mom's way of saying yes!"

Bulma ignored ChiChi's comment, "Now let's get started! First, I want you, Trunks, to check over Angel's other tests to see if they can get us another clue. While he's doing that, ChiChi, I want you to check over Angel's body to see if there are any strange, alien-like marks on it. Look for anything, like scars or body marks. Meanwhile, I will be testing Angel on more things like immune system and bone structure." Everyone began their assigned tasks right away.

Trunks sighed as he scanned over the test results for the millionth time. He had been looking at the pages for two hours now and had yet to find anything to give them a clue about Angel's heritage. He pondered that for awhile. Who would have guessed that Angel was part alien, like himself? How would she react to the discovery that she was not the person she thought she was? The discovery had sprung up many questions. Like how did she get here? Who were her real parents? And where were they now? He heaved another sigh and grabbed the tests before heading to the infirmary.

ChiChi and Bulma were discussing something important when he entered so he just sat on a stool next to the table. He observed the room around him, like he hadn't memorized every corner over the past few days while watching over Angel.

"Oh, Trunks! Here I think ChiChi has found something very interesting that could help us identify Angel's alien heritage," Bulma finally noticed her son sitting on a wooden stool.

"Really? What is it?" Trunks asked curiously.

ChiChi walked over to the table where Angel slept peacefully, "As you remember, I was assigned to the task of finding any strange, alien-like marks on Angel's body. Well, I think I have found something that should be quiet helpful."

She gently pulled down the dark blue shorts that was had been put against Angel's thin waist. Then she gestured towards a spot right about where the tail bone began. Trunks and Bulma peered at the designated area intently. They noticed that they were looking at some kind of scar. It wasn't deep, but it was covered by a thin layer of tissue. Bulma blinked in surprise at the sight of that scar.

"Oh my! I...I've seen a scar like that before!" Bulma stammered as ChiChi slowly snapped the shorts into place.

"Huh? You have?" Trunks asked in complete surprise.

"Yes, she has. And so have I," ChiChi answered for the shocked Bulma, "Now, Bulma, you know why I thought it would be an important clue! I knew I had seen something like that before!"

"Will you too please tell me where you have seen a scar like that before?" Trunks demanded of the two women.

ChiChi and Bulma glanced at each other before Bulma spoke, "Well, Trunks honey, I have seen a scar like that on you!"

Trunks almost fell back in surprise at that statement, "What do you mean you've seen that scar on me?"

"It's true, Trunks. I saw it on Gohan as well," ChiChi answered.

"Well, where did we get it?"Trunks pleaded his mother.

"Why it's from where you and Gohan's tails were removed. I guess, this scar concludes the idea that Angel is half human, half saiyan!" Bulma blurted out.

Chapter 8 | Go Back